Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cheese Grater

Before this journey began I pondered the difficulty of my task here.  I knew that my mom was going to be in the hospital at the same time that my dad was going to be back at the hotel.  Two people.  Two different locations.  Just me.  I didn't spend too much thought on the idea, but I knew that the logistics could be complicated.  I trusted God and I did not succumb to worry.

On Friday morning I was taking things down to the car with Jason when my dad fell down.  He was sitting in the office chair when he thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to elevate my feet for a bit?"  So, he put his feet up on the desk unit and promptly crashed to the floor--backwards.  He was smart enough to not fight the journey down.  His abdominal muscles were in no shape to react to anything like this.  On the way down his elbow rode the heating/cooling unit.  The vents acted like a cheese grater on his arm.

When I arrived back at the room--a six minute journey--I noticed the chair on the floor.  By then my dad had collected himself, gotten up, and moved to a different chair.  I knew something had happened when I arrived on scene.  The chair on the floor looked peculiar.  I said, "Let me get that chair for you."  He then told me the story and showed me his wound.  A few minutes of clean up and a gauze patch with medical tape did the trick.  He's not really "as good as new," but he's doing just fine.

Don't gasp with disbelief or ache in your heart, please.  You can laugh at the situation.  It's the best cure for it all.

Shaking my head,
Melissa Culver

1 comment:

  1. Dad had to learn to slowwww down a little? Glad nothing serious - and yes, I did chuckle. :)

    ReplyDelete